Querying Source Servers with PHP : Part 2
So I have my JSON data which contains all the query information which was returned from the Source Query Protocol. I’m storing it as a flat JSON file - the reason being (as discussed in my last post) is simply due to speed (or the assumption it would be faster). I don’t want to be getting into caching database queries, optimising the indexes, normalisation etc… As this project is for fun, let’s just store the JSON on the file system, and pull the data out when we need it.
What should I do with this data?
Well, that’s easy! Let’s create a website, and display it! I admit, I’m no front-end developer. So I chose to use a simple PHP Framework I wrote about 8 years ago. It’s a very simple MVC Framework, which consists of 10 files.
Without going into too much detail (maybe this is a topic for another blog post), here’s the file structure:
/config - Configuration Files
/content - Views
/data - Storage (JSON in this example)
/includes - Controllers
/models - Models
Very simple, but why spend time setting up and configuring something like Laravel or CodeIgnitor, when I can copy/paste my old code, and get cracking? I wrote a controller to loop through my list of servers, pull the data from each of the JSON files, then pass it to the view to be displayed.
CSS & HTML Framework
I decided to use Good old faithful Bootstrap (version 3), and customised some of the basic elements. Again, nothing special, just a quick and easy setup, and throwing together code in minutes!
No npm, grunt, composer, gulp or any other technology! Just raw PHP, CSS and HTML.
Here’s the finished design.
As you can see, I’m displaying information such as the Name, IP, Players and giving the user options to connect (or purchase their own, wink, wink). It’s just a simple “col-md-6” . Nothing fancy, but it means when I add more servers, they can just drop in, and look apart of the page. There’s a few situations, where the divs don’t line up - mainly when there are many players online. However I could resolve this by adding an ellipsis to the players text - one for another time!
What about the Graph?
Ok I added the data used in the graph after my previous post. I simply added integer variable to the foreach loop, which I collate the number of players on each server together. I’m then throwing this data into another flat file with a timestamp.
I then pull this data back in the front end via the controller, and use ChartJS to display it.
As the cron is running every 5 minutes, the graph is showing the number of players, every 5 minutes. Really simple, but a nice addition to the page.
I’d imagine, when I add more servers, I could add options to the graph for different time periods (hour, day, month). This will allow me to see the peak times players are online.
Around this page, I’ve started to build up other pages, and more elements I can use. I’ll leave this blog post here, and maybe continue in another.
It’s been a very fun experience so far, and even though I’m not using any bleeding edge/funky languages or technologies. It’s been nice to refresh my knowledge of Bootstrap, CSS, jQuery, and also learn how Source Query Protocol works!
Here’s where I’ve left the website so far:
Hopefully as time allows, I’ll begin to build it up, and add more pages and servers!